abel is a Belgian government-owned public limited company. It builds, owns, maintains and upgrades the Belgian railway network, makes its capacity available to railway companies, and handles train traffic control. It was created on 1 January 2005 from the split of the once unitary SNCB/NMBS. On 31 December 2009, it had 12,875 employees. CEO is Luc Lallemand.
From its creation in 2008 until December 31, 2013, 93.6% of stock was owned by SNCB-Holding, representing 20% of the voting rights minus 1 vote. The remainder, 80% of the voting rights (+ 1 vote) and 6.4% of stock were controlled directly by the Belgian state, represented by the minister of the Civil Service and is a Public Companies and by the State Secretary for Mobility. EBITDA for fiscal year 2009 amounted to €55.01 million, EBT to €69.61 million. The balance sheet total as of 31 December 2009 was €13.8 billion.
As of 31 December 2009, Infrabel oversees 3,578 kilometres of railway lines, 12,218 switches, 1,913 level crossings (partly the road-side signalling), 223 railway signalling cabins, 1 traffic control, 4 workshops, 7,163 railway structures and 339 unmanned stops.
Of the 11 railway undertakings certified for the Belgian network, 6 customers effectively drove trains in 2009: SNCB, Crossrail Benelux, Veolia Cargo Nederland BV, SNCF Fret, TrainsporT AG and ERS Railways BV. 2010 numbers show that Infrabel delivered 492 freight and 4,132 passenger train paths per day.
Infrabel is a partner in the EuroCarex high-speed railway freight project.